So, in my continued quest to become and stay healthy I came across Chia Seeds! These powerful little seeds provides SO much healthy goodness, your body will jump for joy. Or at least be healthier because of it =)
This is about the amount I put in my yogurt. Usually 1tsp
First let's talk about all the amazing health benefits these little gems provide:
1. Weight Loss – Chia seeds can be used in conjunction with your weight loss plan for faster results. Chia seeds absorb water 12 times their weight. They will expand, leaving you feel fuller longer which will help keep you cravings in control.
2. Omega – 3 – Chia is a great low-fat way to increase the amount of omega-3 in your diet. It doesn't come from any animals so it's great for vegans and vegetarians.
3. Gluten Free – Chia seeds are gluten free, making them a healthy way for you to bake and cook with less gluten.
4. Feel Energized- Chia has been proven to provide energy and stamina. Its large amounts of protein make it the ideal pick-me up when you do not want caffeine or sugar.
5. Anti-Oxidants – Chia seeds have copious amounts of anti-oxidants making them the most ideal age
fighter on the market. Anti-oxidants work to prevent free radical damage to your body. Since anti-oxidants work to keep chia seeds fresh, you will be able to benefit from the same powers for your body
6. Pack in nutrients – Chia seeds have no flavor and they take on the flavor of what they are added to. When adding them to your food, you will be able to add large amounts of benefits and nutrients without masking the flavor or adding fat.
7. Calcium- By weight, Chia has more calcium than whole milk, as well as other minerals that milk does not have without any fat. Since I stopped drinking cows milk and switched to almond milk, this has been very beneficial for me.
8. Cleanse– Chia works to clean your digestive tract and small intestine in a smooth and slow process. It works to remove built up material leaving your feeling lighter, cleaner and healthier. Basically, if you're ever constipated it will help get things moving.
So, now that we know a little more about this amazing super food how do you go about eating it? I prefer to sprinkle mine on Chobani Greek Yogurt, let it set for about 10 minutes and then enjoy. I prefer this brand because it's all natural with no additives, contains more protein than regular yogurt and has 3 types of Probiotics.
I usually buy mine from Sprouts Farmers Market
but they're pretty much sold every where.
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or agave
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, honey and vanilla. Add the chia seeds and stir to combine.
- 2. Refrigerate 4 hours, stirring once halfway through.
- 3. Serve chilled or at room temperature
|Picture via Google images|