Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Does anyone send "real" holiday cards anymore?

From as far back as I can remember, one of the most exciting times of the holidays was going to the mail box to see what holiday/Christmas cards were there! I loved opening them and see what pretty sparkly glittered card would be inside. Or finding a cute family picture in front of a fire place or someones pet's running on the beach.  As I got older I looked forward to reading the "Family Letter" about what has happened over the last year with the kids, jobs, new home etc..

We would save EVERY card we received and hang them up around the mantel, next to door frames and even in the cute card holders you could hang on the wall. Not only did it help make things look festive but it was fun to see all the cards and family pictures from over the years.

Recently, after going through whats left of my decorations, I noticed how few cards I have anymore! I realized that this is a tradition that seems to be dying with the digital age of E-Cards, Facebook and a multitude of other online ways to send a card.

Yes it's "green" to send virtual holiday wishes and yes it's obviously much quicker but I think we as a society have seriously lost touch with what used to be real communication! There is something much more personal and "real" about a hand written holiday/Christmas card rather then just choosing from a generic list of text and pressing send! My late Grandmother has probably written more letters, Christmas, Birthday, Sympathy and get well cards then Hallmark has!

I admit I'm not always on top of sending cards so I don't write this to point any fingers or pass judgement.  More than anything, Holiday's or not, I wonder how many people still "write" anything?

1 comment:

  1. I love 'real' mail and cards! But I guess I also fell short on actually sending any Christmas cards this year, (though I really, really meant to ) you just get busy - and digitally sending your love is so much easier.

    I'm so with you though!

    ReplyDelete